Motherhood brings great joy – but also a lot of frustration! As many moms will attest, one of the most difficult aspects of having children is that it can change your body in undesirable ways, such as a stubbornly lingering belly line or sagging breasts. Sometimes these physical changes can be reversed with a more conscious and healthier lifestyle. Exercise and good nutrition, for example, are helpful. Often, however, these changes seem to be permanent.
Many women come to us because they want to look the way they did before they had children. In such a case, we can help you specifically with what is called a Mommy Makeover. The Mommy Makeover surgery includes everything that mothers need to regain the body they had before giving birth and to feel comfortable again. Whether it’s a tummy tuck, breast lift, or other cosmetic procedure, we can help you make your wish come true.
At Rgnetic, we love being able to offer women a wide variety of plastic surgery options for a Mommy Makeover. Before you come in to talk to us about a Mommy Makeover, we invite you to learn a little more about this treatment.
Here are the 10 points you should know:
- You should not schedule a Mommy Makeover until you are completely sure that your child planning is complete. If you feel that you would like to have more children at some point in the future, it probably makes more sense to wait to have cosmetic surgery – simply because getting pregnant again would undo most of the results you have achieved through a makeover.
- A Mommy Makeover usually involves several procedures. It varies from woman to woman, but typically includes a tummy tuck and breast surgery. The latter may include breast augmentation, a breast lift, or a combination of both procedures, depending on the patient’s goals. Our surgeons can perform all of these procedures simultaneously.
- You should not have mommy makeover surgery until you are back to your personal comfort weight. Proper diet and exercise can help you recover more quickly from your pregnancy. However, you should not become super slim before surgery either. We recommend that you reach a weight that you can maintain for the long term.
- You can add other procedures to your Mommy Makeover. The Mommy Makeover is mainly about achieving the look you had before pregnancy. In some cases, this may require adding additional procedures. These may include intimate area enhancement, liposuction, injections, and more.
- A Mommy Makeover is not as painful as you may think. While any surgical procedure can cause discomfort after surgery, a Mommy Makeover is performed with a medication called Exparel. Exparel came on the market about 5 years ago and is a local anesthetic that lasts a full 3 days, helping you get through the worst of the post-surgical pain. We did a study here at Rgnetic Plastic Surgery and found that the ladies who used Exparel only needed about a third of the number of pain pills as those who did not use Exparel.
- The duration of a Mommy Makeover procedure varies. Depending on exactly what procedures you had done, you can expect your Mommy Makeover to last between 3 and 4 hours.
- You will be awake and mobile fairly quickly, which means you won’t have to wait long before flying back home. From experience, we know that a Mommy Makeover means a stay of 6 days in Istanbul at the highest for you.
- You should allow a few weeks for your recovery. Most patients have pain and discomfort behind them after the first week, but it may take 7 to 10 days before you can drive again. It will take about 4 weeks to fully return to your normal activities, including any type of physical exertion.
- Some seasons are better than others for a Mommy Makeover. Moms often ask us what time of year is best for them to have surgery. The short answer is that you should have your Mommy Makeover whenever you have adequate support to care for your children. We highly recommend choosing a time when friends or relatives can help out or your partner can take a little time off from work.
- You should always schedule a consultation appointment before having Mommy Makeover surgery. In fact, this is really something that we insist on. We want to make sure that we are in agreement with your wishes, and that you have clear expectations about the process and recovery time. In addition, our surgeons want to make sure that you are in good health before the procedure so that you recover from the surgery as quickly as possible.