The following factors are indicative of lipedema.
- Pain: Do you suffer from increased sensitivity to pressure and touch?
- Past: Have you suffered from “thick legs” since puberty?
- Distribution pattern: Is there a symmetrical distribution of fat on the sides of the hips and thighs?
- Skin: Does the skin feel coarse and knotty?
- Exercise and diet: Have exercise and conscious diet had no noticeable effect?
- Hands and feet: Are these typically not affected by the swelling?
- Progression: Was there an increased volume surge during pregnancy?
- Bruising: Do you have frequent bruising and don’t know where it comes from?
- Heredity: Are other family members affected by swelling of the extremities?